Take a walk to the most famous geological outcrop of the Glarus Main Thrust!
Distance 0.5 km
At the most famous geological outcrop in Switzerland at Lochsite, 250-300 million year old Verrucano rocks lie above younger, 35-50 million year old Flysch rocks. Scientists from all over the world have been researching this rock face for 200 years. The knowledge gained at this site has revolutionized the understanding of mountain building. In particular, they recognized how mountain ranges were formed by blanket overthrusts. Previously, earth scientists had assumed that mountain ranges were formed due to the shrinkage of the earth associated with the cooling of the earth.
With the help of the information panels and staging at the Lochsite, you become a scientist yourself.
After visiting the Lochsite, it is clear to everyone: the "Alpine folding" does not exist!
Getting thereIn Schwanden GL turn off in the direction of Elm. After about 4 minutes you will see the unmistakable "Lochsiten" staging.
ParkingParkplatz vorhanden am Fusse der Fussgängerbrücke
32T 507116 5204781
EquipmentEs ist keine besondere Ausrüstung notwendig
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view