Well-known and popular mountain hike over the Wildmad with the opportunity to observe wildlife.
Starting from Kies, take the cable car up to Mettmen and start the hike on the Mettmen Alp (1608m). A short ascent leads to the Garichtisee.
First, you will walk along the lake shore, where various fire-pits invite you to linger. Then, there is an easy ascent to the Alp Ober Stafel. At about 1926 m above sea level you leave the path to the Leglerhütte and follow the stream and continue to the highest point of the hike, the Wildmadfurggeli. A magnificent panorama opens up to you to the Piz Sardona, Tschingelhörner and many more.
Finally you start the descent: after a short time you will see the Chüebodensee. You follow the alpine path down to the Obere Ämpächli Alp. From here you walk on a beautiful path to Unter Ämpächli. If the visibility is good, you can even catch a glimpse of the famous Martinsloch in the Sardona World Heritage Site opposite.
The Sportbahnen Elm gondola lift finally carries you down to Elm.
Buy the Wildmad round trip ticket and leave the car comfortably in Schwanden. Included are the two mountain cable cars and the bus.
Getting thereTake the A3 Niederurnen exit and follow the connecting road in the direction of Näfels. At the traffic light Näfels enter towards Elm. Continue via Glarus to Schwanden. At Schwanden turn left towards Elm. Then turn right towards Mettmen and follow the road to the lower station.
Free parking is available at the lower station of the cable car Kies-Mettmen.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentProper hiking equipment is necessary. Binoculars are recommended for observing wildlife.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.